The website administrator of the last HSF Association website listed a number of websites for interest. These are included on this page separately. In time the two pages will be merged and hyperlinks engineered.
- The following websites have been carried on from those published by the previous HSF Association website. Some have been checked and proved unworkable, so please update the Webmaster if you find a new link.
- Setting up “click” links to websites takes time and this will be done in due course.In the meantime, if you click on the URL and it fails to take you where you want to go, please copy & paste the title offered for that subject and paste it into a search engines search box. Try, for example, Google, Bing, Altavista etc.
- This website takes no responsibility for the availability, quality or maintenance of these websites. Neither do we take any responsibility for any responses, goods or services you maysubsequently receive or purchase.
- Commercial websites are copied from the previous website, with some added. It is inevitable that competitors (or you) will either complain and/or request publication of their website. This is understood and The HSF Association undertakes to do this in due course, particularly where services have been recommended by a Unit, Unit members or a respected stakeholder.
- Access to all official military websites, all appearing on the “MOD” platform, should be sought by using the British Army or MOD websites listed below.
- We have tried our best to honour the interests and contribution of those who have served in the RM,RN and RAF, nevertheless the HSF was a British Army operation and we therefore concentrate on soldiering. Airfield conservation and air museums seem to offer KP status or potential current Unit interest, so submariners and divers should not feel hard done by.
- Similarly, we seek to honour the interests and contribution of those in Scotland and Wales, however contact with HSF veterans in those countries is currently difficult either because of Unit disbandments or no Unit being raised.Hopefully that might change.
Soldier Magazine – get it on line
Imperial War Museum
IWM-London, IWM-Duxford, IWM-North @ Manchester, HMS Belfast, Churchill War Rooms.
Royal Armouries, Leeds
The National Army Museum London
The Tank Museum – Bovington
British Army website – for all current Regiments and Corps
The Ministry of Defence – for details of all RN,RM, British Army & RAF formations.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission – “Debt of Honour Register” 1.7m names, 23k cemeteries.
The National Archives, Kew, SW London – research on a family member.
British Regiments Discussion Group – topics relating to British Regiments (incl Indian Army & RM)
Nineteenth Century British and Indian Armies and their Soldiers
Britain’s Small Wars
The story of soldiers, sailors, and airmen from Britain and the Commonwealth fighting small wars to defend Britain’s shrinking empire since the end of World War Two.
India, Palestine, Malaya, Korea, Suez Canal Zone, Kenya, Cyprus, Suez 1956, Borneo, Vietnam, Aden, Radfan, Oman, Dhofar, Northern Ireland, the Falklands War, the Gulf War, Bosnia, Kosovo, Sierra Leone, Iraq and many more.
Medals – Official Issue & Replacement
MOD Medals Office (now incorporating The Army Medals Office since 2005)
- Holds details of most campaign medals issued from the 1920s
- The authority for all questions concerning the entitlement to current campaign medals.
- Issue of medals post WW1 to those entitled persons who have never received them
- The replacement of medals under certain conditions for entitled personnel.
The Army Benevolent Fund, The Soldiers’ Charity
The Royal Naval Benevolent Trust
Naval Service Benevolence Fund (NSBF) – RNRMC
Royal Naval Reserve Benevolent Fund
A-Z of charities
Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund – Home
SSAFA Forces Help
A recruitment website for ex military personnel featured on the last HSFA website.
Air & Aviation Museums
The Museum of Army Flying, Middle Wallop, Hants.
Midland Air Museum, Coventry
Yorkshire Air Museum, York
Naval Aviation Museum, Royal Navy Helicopters, Aircraft, South West
Solway Aviation Museum, Carlisle
Newark Air Museum, Nottinghamshire
Airfields of Britain Conservation Trust – UK
National Museum of Flight – National Museums Scotland
Dumfries and Galloway Aviation Museum
Highland Aviation Museum, Inverness
Aviation Museum Guide | A guide to aircraft and aviation related …
Airworld Aviation Museum, Caernarfon
Websites claiming to show all Air Museums
Flyingzone UK Air Museums Directory
Aviation Museum Guide | News and guide to aircraft and aviation …
Aviation Museums in England
Dealers, Tailors, Book Sellers & Tour Companies
EG Frames, Solihull – Militaria, framing, uniforms & medals– recommended (we have Unit members in this area)
Military & Aviation Book Society
A wide range of books on the British Army, military history, modern warfare, weapons & hardware, etc.
Medals of the World – images of medals from around the world
Military Badges & Insignia – a very large site
C & J Medals, Reading (we have Unit members in this area)
A small family firm specialising in military medals, regimental ties and badges, and all accoutrement for the military lady or gentleman. Established in 1970.
Military Badge Identification Web Site
Southern Medals, Knebworth, Herts
Philip Burman, Kings Lynn
Bigbury Mint, Ivybridge, Devon
Award Medals, Shrewsbury
Worcester Medals, Bromsgrove, Worcs
Holts Tours, Reigate, Surrey
Holts Tours are renowned for their Battlefield Tours of the first and second world wars as well as for their tours of battlefields further afield.
Bickerton Regimental Jewellry, Hockley, Birmingham
Others may be added.
Cazare La Moeciu
Normally I do not read post on blogs, however I wish to say that
this write-up very forced me to check out and
do so! Your writing style has been surprised me. Thank you,
very great post.
Thank you very much. We hope to continue making improvements.